Founder | CEO | MLBPA Certified Agent
Matthew is the CEO and Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) Certified Agent of Gaeta Sports Management (GSM) — located in One World Trade Center in New York City.
At the age of 21, he became one of the youngest individuals to ever pass the MLBPA Agent Certification Exam and, soon after, was granted certification by the MLBPA. Today, Matthew is the sole agent of over 80 professional baseball players — having negotiated their contracts at the Major, Minor, and International levels.
Named to Sports Business Journal’s 2020 “New Voices: Under 30” list as well as tapped to Crain’s New York Business 2021 “20 in their 20s,” Matthew most notably secured a 5-year guaranteed $9.25 Million contract extension for his client, and once Undrafted Free-Agent, Randy Dobnak of the Minnesota Twins – which has the potential for 8-years $29.75 Million and can max out at $54.05 Million with incentives and escalators.
Matthew’s work ethic, knowledge of the MLB/MLBPA Basic Agreement, business network within baseball and the sports industry, academic background and playing experience are vital elements that cohesively work together — each supporting his ability to connect with players and help them achieve their personal and professional goals.
- MLBPA Certified Agent
- Active Client Roster of more than 80 clients in the MLB and each level of MiLB [Rookie, Low-A, High-A, Double-A and Triple-A] — having negotiated their contracts at the Major, Minor, and International levels.
- Clients have appeared on MLB Opening Day rosters, competed in the MLB Playoffs and World Series, and earned prestigious individual accolades, including: First Team All-MLB, Baseball America’s All-MLB Rookie Team, MLB’s All-Debut Team, Organizational Most Outstanding MLB Rookie, Baseball America’s Top 30 Prospect lists, MLB Pipeline’s Top-30 Prospect lists, and MLB Pipeline Organizational Pitcher of the Year.
- Became one of the youngest agents to negotiate a contract extention for a MLB client — secured a 5-year guaranteed $9.25 Million contract extension for once Undrafted Free-Agent RHP Randy Dobnak of the Minnesota Twins – which has the potential for 8-years $29.75 Million and can max out at $54.05 Million with incentives and escalators.
- Solidified on-air appearances for his clients on ESPN, USA Today, MLB Network, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, CNBC, and landed them endorsement deals with Nike, Under Armour, Rawlings, and Topps Baseball Cards, among others.
- Represent MLB Arizona Fall League Participants, MLB Non-Roster Spring Training Invitees, MLB Rule-5 Selections, and MLB Amateur Draft (Rule-4) Selections
- Represent multiple Winter Ball Participants — Liga Mexicana del Pacifico, Liga Venezuela Profesional, Liga de Beisbol Profesional de Roberto Clemente, Liga Colombiana de Beisbol Profesional, and Australian Baseball League
Honors And Awards
- 2021 NYU Distinguished Young Alumnus Award — recognizes a distinguished graduate of the school, age 35 or younger at the time of nomination, for outstanding achievement in business or professional life, or for significantly improving or enhancing the lives of others through outstanding leadership or service. His or her deeds and actions thereby reflect and recognize the importance of their education and bring honor to SPS and NYU.
- 2021 Crain’s New York Business “20 in their 20’s” — recognizes 20 up-and-coming professionals, who haven’t turned 30 yet, who are making their mark in the Metro New York area.
- 2020 Sports Business Journal “New Voices Under 30” — recognizes 30 individuals as the new wave of leaders in sports business. The class is comprised of young, diverse and impactful leaders, entrepreneurs, risk-takers and disrupters who are re-imagining the sports experience and the way business is done.
- 2020 PG Sports: Sports Agent of the Year — sports media outlet PGSports honored sports industry leaders across many categories. Other recipients included Tom Brady, Renne Montgomery, and Marshawn Lynch.
Educational and Playing Experience
- New York University (NYU) | Graduated Magna Cum Laude (Top 15% in Class) | 3.87/4.0 GPA
- University Honors Scholar/Founders’ Day Award recipient as top-ranking graduate
- Dean’s List Honoree 6 of 7 semesters (3.7 GPA or higher)
- NYU NCAA Baseball Team
- UAA Academic All-Conference Honoree (4.0 GPA)
- NYU Student-Athlete Presidents Honor Roll Honoree (4.0 GPA)
- New York Yankees invite to the Area Code Games tryouts
- Like many athletes that participate in repetitive and physical sports, injuries are inevitable. Matthew’s last injury was an ulnar nerve surgery. The 10-inch scar on his right throwing arm was the final toll from many years of catching